Skip to main content

Chapter 23 - Deletion is connective in its blind mechanics

                    

THE STORY OF DEL - Delete

"Her name is Pilù and along with bananas she's fond of fruits, leaves, roots, and sometimes - especially in the mating season - other primates. So be careful!"
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VwUhMPUAJT9c6pn33u98TfVGV953uhxcatUMgZxeYqVVgcuw9befDJU7GH6zCaB3WIN_70nfLm7zOo4RplOStcPrsrVhIYCPa9rUbrVnEeVo_ChyxEqO88s9lJ0Oir6_RZZGqMBiDvArh7iTnQ https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_gkD1fQcYXpMObO-khTwqfmnlpkyW4l0ioKCFJevPXx87DNF9C3pjFtjFXc_axkktKF6Hc1_UCwj4CY_1589XwGD89foljx9Zb_xXo1cOcX9fofz4nefWbbmTBY_5epL1Tj7KWlSvgoWDiUJzw
"Pilù, Pilù, I love you! Don't eat me, I love you!"
For reasons unknown, Pilù fell instantly and madly in love with Del. The French call it a 'coup de foudre,' a bolt of lightning, but this was worse: Cupid had fired a bazooka. Monkey love is very strong!
"Yes... I love you too, Pilù! Je t'aime mon petit chou-chou. Juula, now that I have found my kindred spirit, I can’t see myself bothering with keyboards anymore and so..."
"No, Del, please! Don't go turning me into something crazy! Wait! First let's FOCUS on what we have to do! Here, give Pilù this tablet."
She passed the chimp an iPad Mini with a text editor open on Shakespeare's Hamlet.
"Yes, sorry, you're right."
Unprompted, Pilù was already eagerly reaching for the device.
"Okay... Here, let's see what you write, my chou-chou, my cabbage-cabbage!"
"No, Del, what we're interested in is seeing what she CANCELS. Remember?"
Del, Delete? Editing?
"Ah yes, of course!"
"Okay, here's the famous soliloquy: 'to be, or not to be'...
Order Pilù to make a deletion."
"Ehm... I'll try... first a little practice, okay?"
He turned to Pilù and instructed: "Darling, sugar-pops, watch... You drag a finger and you spread the selection glow over the words, and then you hit BackSpace."
Pilù quickly got the hang of it - primates will be primates! - and after a couple of UNDOS she was ready for the real test.
"Oh, you're so very very smart and I love you too! Ready? On my three: One, two... wait!" Pilù streaked a finger from the word 'not' of 'or NOT to be' all the way to 'rub' - excluded - of 'ay, there's the RUB' and then diligently tapped BACKSPACE - immediately expecting and receiving an exaggerated show of affection from Del.
"Such a smart one! Not even an Australian Shepherd can come close!"
Before the love talk could degenerate, Juula intervened and with a twitch of the nose, like Samantha of the ancient 'Bewitched' series, made Pilù disappear from Del's loving arms.
"Hey!
"Focus Del! Focus! Pilù's deletion is proof of something fundamental. Can you guess?"
"That in monkey language 'to be or rub' makes sense?"
"Not even close! All right watch... I'll tap in 'undo' and Pilù's selection will return."
"It says 82 words in all."
"That's beside the point."
"Hint, please!"
"Concentrate. Think of something so obvious that it's almost too stupid to notice."
"Oh uh... well..."
And that's when Del saw Connective Editing in all its absurdly obvious splendor! 
"Deletion is connective in its blind mechanics!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 29 - Imagine editing faster on an iPad Mini than a computer! Voilà

                         THE STORY OF DEL - Delete Good morning, Del! Good morning to you, my beautiful Juula! What's the matter, you look sad. No, I'm impatient. I want a sneak peak at some of the things that connective editing can do. Before the bla-bla-bla explanations? Yeah... just like that. Are you afraid they're gonna pull the plug and put me out of my misery? Stop it, Del, please! I'm sorry. All right here's a quick and dirty demo. But then we'll do it right, we'll explain it calmly, all right? I promise!

Chapter 28 - A 1-touch text editor for phones and tablets. Exercise 1) - zapping words

                        THE STORY OF DEL - Delete Guten morgen, Schatz! Danke, meine Liebe! What have you got for me today? Well, I wanted to show you how one single Connective Editing button obeying a simple instruction, has got all the other editing apps for handhelds beat - and as a matter of fact it's even snappier than what's normal on a regular sit-on-your butt computer. Wow... I'm all in. Actually, you ARE! Because this new single instruction will be the new DEL. And any app would be foolish to ignore the wonderful ease and power it offers. But then... But then... ? I want to be on a keyboard too! You do? Yes, I want to marry you and live on an extra keyboard row with you. Have you been smoking something, Juula? Absolutely not. I never do that stuff. Right, sorry... I didn't mean it that way. I want to join you and be a second button that completes the new DEL. Then if we have children, the DEL and JUULA family can revolutionize editing. I love it. I know it soun

Chapter 27 - If it takes you more than one touch to cancel to the end of a sentence, you're working too hard.

                       THE STORY OF DEL - Delete " Buongiorno Del! Come va ?" " Bene bellezza, mia . What do you have for me today?" "We're gonna reason a few things through regarding text editing on handhelds." "For instance? "Well, when discussing anything, it's always a good idea to provide some givens. For example:" 1) Compared to the ease of selection on regular computers, with their big physical keyboards, mice, shift-arrows and function keys, highlighting text on the flat screens (phones, tablets and phablets) is torture. "Definitely! But the problem is the handhelds are basically content-retrieval systems." "Maybe they are now, but they don't have to be. No, it's entirely a matter of poor design. Excuse the vulgarity, but piss-poor design!" "I have good reason to believe you, mi amor!" "The second given:" 2) When editing, the writing part can happen at the variable speeds of ins